Thursday, March 6, 2008

to infinity and beyond (thanks, al)

So I was surfing around the web, reading opinions on the election, and I ran into one from Larry David, the creator of Seinfeld. In it, he opined that, if Obama really wants to counter the infamous "3 AM" commercial, he should run a montage of the many personalities (he called them "Sybillish") that Clinton has exhibited during the campaign with the tag line, "Does anyone want this nut answering the phone?"


I have to admit that, when I looked at the collage of images here (credited to DanzFamily.com), I laughed out loud. I mean, come on! Some of these photos are completely hilarious...and no pun at all is intended there. ;-) (Oh, think about it!)

My favorite line is the second from the top: priceless! She goes from exhausted to deathly serious to happy to I-don't-know-what to I-don't-even-want-to-know-what to how-wide-can-I-get-my-mouth-open to two versions of I-can-hold-this -overdone-smile-as-long-as-the-camera-is-on-me. It's perfect. I'm still laughing.

But I'm not writing to make fun of Hillary Clinton's ultra-expressive face; no, actually that's not a bad thing at all, just a stark contrast to Barack Obama's unflappable one. (His smile, though, when he gives it, is the most sincere and perfect one I think I've ever seen on a politician. But that's another story.) No, I just found the images fun, so I wanted to share.

That's the internet's most incredible joy: finding things that you want to share. I have this feature on my browser called "StumbleUpon" that takes me, when I click it, to completely random new sites (based on criteria I selected when I signed up for it). I've found many wonderful, interesting, unusual, even hypnotically beautiful places online that way. And I've found many outrageously funny sites as well. Some I might have found myself eventually; some, though I might never even have thought to look for. Just now I clicked it and ended up on a site called "Hunkin's Experiments" and learned, among other things, how to make a box of quicksand. (You never know when that sort of thing could come in handy!)

Here's another: moviemistakes.com. I learned that the all-time winner for most mistakes in one movie is Apocalypse Now with 396 mistakes! Random sampling:

Continuity:
Captain Willard picks up one of the death cards that Lieutenant Kilgore threw on a dead body and it's the seven of hearts. This is not one of the cards that Kilgore threw down though. As he was naming each one as he threw it and Captain Willard was walking close behind him

Audio problem: Lance is singing while he's in the water with Chief Phillips' body and his lips do not match his vocalizing.

Continuity: As Captain Willard tries to get Chief Phillips to stop the men from firing he says, "They're just little sticks. They're just trying to scare us". Watch the Captain's left hand closely as his rifle becomes arrows between shots.

I love this stuff!

Anyway, the internet is full of small finds like these. And it is full of utterly joyous ones like this:



It's also a good way to keep in touch. I have re-established contact on Facebook with dozens of former students, some from over two decades ago. One, now a professor of biology at Butler University, messaged me to ask if I knew a young man whom she had seen in a college play. He had listed my town in his bio. Yep, he was one of mine. With the net, it really is a small world.

I spend a lot of time here, but I hesitate to say that I "waste" it. It's only a waste if nothing useful comes from it, and that simply is not the case. Too many people of my generation don't understand what there is out here in cyberspace. What I've found is pretty simple: out here there is infinity, and it's waiting to be discovered.

sunspark

No comments:

sunsparks

it's your hair that i notice first
streaked with morning
it frames your face
you lying there eyes closed
soft breath not quite there
unmoving
i follow its path as it bends the sheet
and i can touch you there
touch what i feel is you
in the spark of daylight
you'll rise
pull on the wrinkled shirt from last night
say something you think is beautiful
drink some coffee
from behind my paper
and drive away,
leaving a kiss on my lips
and a hole in my heart
where a fire ought to be


Favorite Films

  • The Wizard Of Oz
  • Amelie
  • The Princess Bride
  • Casablanca
  • Annie Hall
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • All That Jazz
  • Citizen Kane
  • Love Actually
  • Moulin Rouge
  • Big Fish
  • When Harry Met Sally
  • Almost Famous
  • Bull Durham
  • Notting Hill
  • Apocalypse Now (Redux)
  • Magnolia

All-Time Favorite TV Shows

  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Gilmore Girls
  • M*A*S*H
  • The West Wing
  • The X-Files
  • The Daily Show
  • Ally McBeal
  • Picket Fences
  • All In The Family
  • Seinfeld
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Show
  • Star Trek
  • Firefly
  • Wonderfalls
  • Northern Exposure
  • Get Smart
  • The Dick Van Dyke Show
  • Twin Peaks
  • The Larry Sanders Show
  • Monk
  • Felicity
  • St. Elsewhere

Current TV Shows I Enjoy (in no particular order)

  • Perception
  • Major Crimes
  • American Horror Story
  • Louie
  • Suits
  • The Newsroom
  • Falling Skies
  • Franklin and Bash
  • Veep
  • Scandal
  • Fairly Legal
  • Girls
  • Don't Trust the B---
  • Justified
  • Portlandia
  • Psych
  • The Middle
  • Person of Interest
  • Happy Endings
  • Hart of Dixie
  • Real Time with Bill Maher
  • Nikita
  • Raising Hope
  • Castle
  • Drop Dead Diva
  • Covert Affairs
  • Elementary
  • Rizzoli and Isles
  • Revolution
  • The Last Resort
  • Alphas
  • SNL
  • Revenge
  • Community
  • Suburgatory
  • New Girl
  • Once Upon a Time
  • Grimm
  • Nashville
  • Downton Abbey
  • Smash
  • Homeland
  • Fringe
  • Glee
  • Haven
  • Community
  • Warehouse 13
  • Modern Family
  • Vampire Diaries
  • The Daily Show
  • How I Met Your Mother
  • The Colbert Report
  • Parks and Recreation
  • Leverage
  • Rachel Maddow Show

xkcd - A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and